Frank Darabont (born 28 January 1959 in Montbéliard, France) is a director, Hungarian-born American film producer and screenwriter.
Frank Darabont was born in a refugee camp in Montbéliard, France. His parents left Hungary after the Hungarian revolution of 1956. While still an infant, his family moved to the United States.
Darabont entered the world of cinema at age 20. One of his early works was a short film entitled “dollar Baby” from the adaptation of a novel by stephen King (1983). In this short King awarded Darabont rights to adapt to film his Novella “Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption”, which shot later.
Darabont made his first feature film in 1990. Called “buried alive” and was an American cable television movie. The success came when in 1994 made the adaptation of King. The film was called “The Shawshank Redemption” and Darabont was adapted the screenplay and direct it. Film Darabont was candidate for the Oscar for best adapted screenplay, apart from getting another nomination in the category of best film. However, he failed the nomination in the category of best direction.
To begin his directing career, Darabont had already highlighted writing screenplays for films of terror among those included in “A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors”,”the blob” or “The Fly II”. In addition, has written several screenplays for George Lucas and Steven spielberg TV series “young Indiana Jones”.
After a period of five years, Darabont returned to directing in 1999. The film was titled “The Green Mile”, and Darabont was commissioned to write, produce it and direct it. As he spent with his previous work, the film was based on a play by Stephen King, and was very well received by critics. And as also happened previously, the film was nominated for the Academy Awards in the categories of best film and best adapted screenplay, but not won the nomination in the category of best direction. This film was followed in 2001 “the majestic”, though this film wasn’t as successful as the previous ones.
Frank Darabont is regarded as one of the writer most talented Hollywood, having advised, for example, in the Steven spielberg film scripts: “Saving Private Ryan” and “minority report”.
* A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987), writer.
* Buried Alive (1990, TV), director.
* the shawshank redemption, (1994); Director and screenwriter.
* The Green Mile (1999); Director, screenwriter and producer.
* The Majestic (2001), producer and director.
* The Mist (2007), director, screenwriter and producer.
* The Walking Dead (2010, TV), screenwriter, director of the pilot.See the CONTACT PAGE to contact us today to learn how our screenwriters can help write, rewrite, edit and market your story. After you have completed the contact form and I've had a chance to review the initial information, I'll email you a signed NDA and if you'd like, we can then schedule a time to discuss your project further. Below is the phone scheduler: