Carl zuckmayer, German born 27 December of 1896 playwright (Germany)-on January 18, 1977 in Visp (Switzerland), was a writer. He had a distinguished career as a film writer. During the regime nazi emigrated to the United States, where continued his career, although he returned to Europe after the Second World War.
Carl Zuchmayer was a prominent figure in the literary scene in German language, which has been the subject of multiple tributes and honors received, among others, Goethe Prize as well as several prizes, awards and distinctions, including a doctorate honoris causa by the University Bonn.
Carl Zuckmayer was born in the town of playwright, in Germany, on December 27, 1896, son of a manufacturer of capsules for bottles of wine from the city of playwright. However, since 1900 he was educated at the city of Mainz. He attended school with little enthusiasm and often had difficulties with their teachers. It was fought by the hair of a sanction when in the last year of high school a sickly teacher nearly faints his fault.
First world war
In 1914 made special high school of classics at the current teaching Media Rabanus-Maurus in Mainz, Institute for volunteer shortly after the First world war, was posted to the as a soldier on the Western Front, where he stayed for the duration of the war. Fruit of their experience on the front are her first poetry, of sign clearly pacifist aparecidas from 1917 in the magazine expressionist die aktion, edited by Franz pfemfert.
After the end of the war and until 1920 he studied, among other things, law, history of literature and sociology at the universities of Frankfurt am Main and Heidelberg. In the year of 1920 he married Anne Marie Ganz, a friend of childhood that divorced a year later.
In 1925 he married a second time, this time with actress Viennese alice Frank, with whom he had a daughter Marie Winnetou in 1926, year in which purchased a home in Salzburg (Austria), place where the marriage is installed.
1927 He debuted with great success, der schinderhannes. In 1929 he entered the world of cinema, since he was responsible for developing a screenplay based on the novel professor unrat by heinrich mann. The script was used to shooting the film the Blue Angel in 1930, directed by josef von sternberg, with actors emil jannings and marlene dietrich. Critique considers it one of the best films of the German film and was the film that launched to stardom singer Marlene Dietrich.
His successful comedy Captain of Köpenick it premiered at the deutsches theater in Berlin in 1931. However, in 1938, following the Anschluss, he was expelled for Nazism of the nazi Germany, so he and his family immigrated to the United States, on the Switzerland.
Upon arrival to the United States, he began collaborating on screenplays for Hollywood, that he bought a farm in the State of Vermont.
In 1946, finished the Second World War, he worked for the Government of the United States to act as correspondent in Germany. This year, wrote the play the Devil’s general, whose main character is based on the life of ernst udet, who was the pilot of the Wehrmacht.
In 1952 he received Prix Göethe, pursuant to its published work.
In 1957 he took up residence in saas fee, in the Canton of Valais, in Switzerland. On January 18, 1977 died there, in Visp and was buried in Saas Fee.
Published work (selection)
* 1925: Der fröhliche Weinberg.
* 1927: Schinderhannes.
* 1929: katharina knie,
* 1931: The Blue Angel script (Der blaue Engel), based on professor unrat by heinrich mann.
* 1931: der hauptmann von köpenick.
* 1945: Des Teufels General, drama.
* 1966: Als wär’s ein Stück von mir, autobiography.
* 1927: der fröhliche weinberg of Jacob fleck and luise fleck.
* 1928: Schinderhannes of curtis bernhardt.
* 1930: The Blue Angel (der blaue engel), josef von sternberg.
* 1931: der hauptmann von köpenick of Richard oswald.
* 1942: Menschen, die vorüberziehen, Max haufler.
* 1945: I Was criminal, Richard Oswald.
* 1952: der fröhliche weinberg of erich engel.
* 1954: eine liebesgeschichte of rudolf jugert.
* 1955: Des Teufels General, helmut käutner.
* 1958: der schinderhannes of Helmut Käutner.
* 1959: herbert engelmann of Hans lietzau.
* 1961: der fröhliche weinberg of hermann pfeiffer.
* 1965: Das Leben des Horace a. w. Tabor, werner düggelin.
* 1976: die fastnachtsbeichte of eberhard itzenplitz.
* 1925: Kleist prize.
* 1927: Georg-Büchner Prize.
* 1952: Goethe Prize from the city of Frankfurt am Main.
* 1957: Doctor honoris causa by the University of Bonn.
* 1960: Austria Prize for literature.
* 1967: Honorary citizen of the University of Heidelberg.
* 1967: Order Pour le Mérite arts and Sciences.
* 1972: The city of Düsseldorf Heinrich Heine prize